Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lets try this again...


Ok ladies and gentlemen, here we go for try number 2. There will probably be some repeats of pictures, because I don't want to try and sort through them all.

So, lets just start from the beginning. After staying the night in Montgomery, we went to Old Alabama Town. It is a really cool little historical area in downtown Montgomery. It consists of about 2 blocks of old buildings, which have been restored to the way they were in the early 1800's. A few of the buildings are original to the location, but many have been moved there.



This was the inside of the first house. There was a man working in there who knew a little bit about history... and heck of a lot more about absolutely nothing. Here's an excerpt from our conversations with him:

My mom (looking at wool they had on the table): "Do you know what kind of sheep they had here?"
Weird man: "Well what kind of sheep do you want them to have had"
Mom: "Uh, I was just wondering if you know what they would have had."
Weirdo: "Well there are lots of types of sheep. You can have white sheep. Or black sheep. Or sometimes there are even sheep that are both. And then if you have white sheep, you can dye the wool to whatever color you want."

NO KIDDING. So the problem was, he trapped us. He wouldn't let us leave, and he just kept talking. I was smart and made my escape early, after about 5- 10 minutes. The rest were not so lucky.

Andrew's face while listening to the weirdo history guy.

My dad's face while we were held hostage by the weirdo.

My mom looking at wool stuff. And trying to look interested in the guy telling her that sheep can be black or white.

Jimmy making his escape!!! I went out into the garden as soon as I could. And everyone else slowly made their escape too. Except for my mom. Who was stuck for about 20 minutes until my dad decided to rescue her. She wasn't very happy that we all left her. But my motto quickly became: EVERY (WO)MAN FOR THEMSELVES!

Andrew really hates the hot weather. He wilts like a delicate flower.

The fam on the front porch of a log cabin.

Inside the General Store.

Inside the Church.

My dad preaching.

Schoolhouse.



One thing that I found really interesting was the mix of historic buildings and modern. The historic area is right next to the new downtown.

An old house that we got a tour of. This lady was more knowledgeable, and didn't hold us hostage.

In front of the house.

Buildings behind the house. The one on the far left (the tall one) was the slave quarters. The smaller buildings in a row are the kitchen, laundry, and storage.

Slave quarters.

Jimmy was really excited to tour the slave quarters!

Slave quarters.

The carriages in the carriage house.

Barn.

Andrew posing for his daily photoshoot.

Andrew LOVES taking pictures with his big sister!!!







Andrew was a jackass.



My mom's rockstar shot.



Squirrel!

It looks a little like we're dancing in the street. But don't be fooled! He is trying to cut me in half on a telephone pole cable. Look at his evil little grin.

I got Andrew to hold my hand for a split second.

And then he punched me in the arm. He loves me so much!

Old downtown Montgomery.

I really like Montgomery, it was a pretty awesome city. So after Montgomery, we started driving south toward Florida.


Farms in Alabama. So pretty!

Bored in the car again. Playing with the new camera!

It started POURING rain! Andrew took this while I was driving, and my windshield wipers were on the highest possible setting at the time. Right after this, there was a huge bang, flash, and the whole car shook. No joke... lightening hit RIGHT next to us! We are still debating as to whether or not it hit the car, because we all felt it. But I guess it probably would have killed the car if it actually hit it.

We made it to Florida!

Since we decided to stay an extra night in Navarre (between Pensacola and Destin, on the beach) we had a full day to do whatever our little hearts desired. So we started out by going to the Eglin AFB Armament Museum. It was really interesting.





This helicopter responded to the Jim Jones mass suicide and retrieved bodies.



The first C-130 ever to come off the production line. Named, "The First Lady."

Butterfly on a gun.

With a memorial to military working dogs. I've wanted to adopt a MWD for some time now, so I had to get my picture with it!

Me and my friends. The smart bomb exhibit.



Deep in thought.

Flight trainer thingy.

Helicopter! And I had just gone shopping for my dad's fathers day gift. As well as some stuff for myself =)

F-16

We ate at a Whataburger for the first time. This is Andrew's "excited for whataburger" face.

Jimmy's "excited for whataburger" face.

Storm rolling in... again.

Jimmy's photography. Ambulance going code 3.

Dragon fly.

After going to the museum, we went to the beach for a little while. It was beautiful! And then my mom and I got pedicures and manicures =) It was a great day!

Today, we left Navarre, stopped by the beach to take some pictures, and then went to Destin so the boys could ride go karts. After that we made our way up to Waycross, Georgia, where we are staying the night tonight. I will upload our beach and go kart pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow, I'm tired =)

Thank you for reading, and Bardle do.
Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Happy Father's Day to Tom. I am glad you are well and able to enjoy the trip without interuptions for hospital stays.
    Winnie has been eating bugs and I did not know what he had eaten so we took him to the ER on Monument. Remember it is Sunday and very expensive, and they pumped his stomach and removed one black hair, one white hair, a fly wing, a small leaf, and a giant something or other. He is just fine now and resting comfortably. JUST KIDDING! He never ate bugs and we did not go to the ER. We and Winnie had a nice time with Gretchen, Dan, and Chris today. Winnie is very tired and he wants to go to bed now and it is still sunny. I am exhausted as well, so that sounds good. I will wear my airplane eye cover thingie, I think they are called sleeping glasses.
    I love the pictures today. We feel like we are on the trip with you. The old buildings and houses are my favorite pictures. No, the pictures of y'all are the best and my favorites. You must be having a wonderful time. We love the blog and appreciate all the time you put into doing it.
    Happy Trails to you,
    Night, night,
    GaGa

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. i love the crazy faces while u guys were trapped.

    2. that donkey photo thingy was SO creepy. wow. yikes. im going to have nightmares.

    3. my legs are tied.

    4. you and andrew are so cute.

    5. your eyes are so pretty jenn.

    6. im watching lost right now.

    7. i feel fat too. i ate alot.

    8. i have make up on my face and havent taken a shower since friday.

    9. my brother has red/pink nail polish on his toes . . . .he said a lil girl painted them when he was on his camping trip this weekend with the shrievs or shreives . . . however u spell it.

    10. the code 3 amb looks cool. good job Jimmy!!

    11. AWE! - jenn. the military dog statue! so amazing. i love it.

    ReplyDelete