Monday, June 14, 2010

Callin' Baton Rouge

Here is a service announcement:

We hope you are enjoying our blog. Please leave a comment if you are reading. Jenn changed the settings so you don't need to become a follower to comment. It takes us at least an hour each night to do an update so we would love to know if anyone is reading. Thanks!


Hi everyone!!!
We started our day still with Kevin Toqe at his new apartment. Tom is better but still in a lot of pain. He has been a trooper and hasn't missed much of the activity. We sure appreciate Kevin letting us stay an extra night. He is a great host and we were very blessed by all that he and his team are doing with the church plant in Laurel. We got to hang out with several people from Agape (his church) and met several people around the neighborhood that Kevin has gotten to know. After a walk around downtown and a marvelous breakfast at Lee's Coffee we were off to New Orleans.




Jimmy and Kevin had the "Mad Monkey Mocha"!






Andrew's photo shoot?






A walk around town. Laurel is a cute little town. It is just starting to turn around and buildings are being restored. It's an exciting time for the church to jump in and renovate a major downtown building into a civic center.


Kevin told me to. And it was very refreshing on another hot, humid day.






Memorial to confederate soldiers.








The alley beside Kevin's apartment. The fire escape on the left is his kitchen window.


Outside the church building. Renovation is in full swing!


This place is amazing. We can't wait to come back when it is done (or before).


Shopping with Kevin. This is an old bank. Creative use of the vault.


What are you doing in there, Kevin??


Back in Louisiana again!


Some of the Katrina damage.


We also saw a lot of new buildings. It's amazing how much has been built in just 5 years (mostly on the outskirts of downtown). But overall New Orleans is a very poor, dark sort of place. There were people (a lot of them men) just hanging out all over town. It was hot and people were just sitting around everywhere in the middle of a work day. Of course there is an abundance of Voo Doo shops and strip clubs etc. which add to the darkness. We spent quite awhile driving around the French Quarter. It had beautiful architecture and a lot of tourists. Driving slowly down Bourbon Street (with the windows down) was a trip. I don't think there is any other place on earth like it.


This is painted on the wall. Awesome!


The French Quarter













We drove for miles on a causeway over the swamps. The N.O. airport was nearby. Even when the highway was back on dry land the swamp was just off the pavement. Very different from California!


After taking two wild goose chases several miles off the highway looking for a place to eat dinner, we ended up here. This is in Gonzales, LA. We just happened onto it and it was AMAZING seafood! The seafood chowder was solid seafood, majoring on crawfish, a little spicy but not too spicy. Yummy! We LOVE crawfish!! Everything else was excellent too! And to top it off.....there is a Cabella's on the other side of the freeway. So we have made this our overnight stop. The boys and I have visited Cabella's and have stocked up on Tiger Butter Fudge (and chocolate-peanut butter).

It's the end of the day and Tom is not feeling well at all, so any prayers are appreciated. We are all tired and heading to bed. Tomorrow we will be heading up the Nachez Trace Parkway back into Mississippi. If it sounds like we are going in circles that's because WE ARE!

See you on the road,

Lauren


7 comments:

  1. You gotta know that I am your biggest fan. I check this blog every hour on the hour so I know where you kids are and what you are doing. I am so sorry that Tom is not feeling well. No fun to be away from home and be sick.
    Your pictures really tell the story of your trip along with your commentary. I love the old buildings and houses. Do you think we should all move to New Orleans?
    We are hanging in here...missing you guys...and eating plain food. Don't know how you seem to choose the best restaurants. I think we will have oatmeal for dinner.
    Winnie is so smart that he can count. If I break a dog biscuit into two or three pieces, he can tell the difference. That's what he says, anyway. He loves eye medicine because he gets an extra biscuit that day.
    Going to PT for my hands today. Hope that she does not hurt me. Loving the blog and missing you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEYO!!!

    im reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am too! I would be stalking you all relentlessly--except for that whole not having internet out at your house :]

    I've already forgotten the things I wanted to say. That was a long one.
    1. Who decided giving Jimmy a mocha was a good idea?
    2. That bank store vault is awesome!! Too bad they don't have some of the money left over in there.
    3. Hurray for Kevin Toqe!
    4.Have you seen any gators? Or is it crocs? Both? How about ghosts? (don't tell me if you have the last one).
    5. That's painted!!!! What!!!
    6. NO Airport!
    7. I know someone named Mike Anderson
    8.I don't remember that geography I learned in 7th grade, so it sounds like you're making logical travel sense to me.
    9. TOM! Stop trying to be the star of the Blog and just get better already!
    10. But seriously...we're praying for you. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes! Keep going with the blog, I read it every day. I love the pictures and you are a great story teller. I don't comment because I usually comment of FB.

    I have my pastor friend praying and she has her friends praying. She lives in Conn. so Tom is getting prayers from all over the country! I hope you are all healthy and back on the road soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading it too! Very descriptive and entertaining as well! And Tom--yes, please feel better soon! It's so not fun to be traveling and not feeling well at all... Keep on bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. im following your blog...safe travels...and i hope to read that that tom starts feeling better...maybe some more fiber in his diet??

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is almost like I am there. Jen, you are doing an awesome job narrating your everyday adventures and the pictures are fantastic. The cool thing is being able to sort of be in all these states without ever stepping foot in them thanks to the blog. Tom, I think I jinxed it when I told you to stay away from skateboards and motorcycle crashes so there wouldn't be trips to the hospital. I am praying for you. I hope you feel better soon and the trip becomes more memorable without the help of morphine, of course. All of you, take care and have fun. Colette

    ReplyDelete